Skip to content
Skip to main menu
Australian Consumer Law Logo

Questions & Complaints

Queensland Government Logo

Department of Justice and Attorney-General (Office of Fair Trading) – Queensland


Queensland Government Service Centre
Upper Plaza Terrace
33 Charlotte Street
Brisbane QLD 4000

(Please note: the counter at the Queensland Government Service Centre is available for lodgement of forms and receipt of payments on behalf of Fair Trading only.)


GPO Box 3111
Brisbane QLD 4001

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

(Also contains information about regional fair trading offices)

Consumer protection

The Queensland Office of Fair Trading , part of the Department of Justice and Attorney-General , works to create a fairer and safer Queensland and increase business and consumer confidence by protecting consumers and businesses against unethical behaviour.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission  has national responsibilities for fair trading, competition and consumer protection.

Real estate and rental properties

The Real Estate Institute of Queensland  handles complaints about a real estate agent's conduct if the agent is a member.

The Legal Services Commission  handles complaints about conduct of solicitors, barristers or law practice employees.

The Office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management  handles body corporate disputes.

The Residential Tenancies Authority  handles complaints about bonds and tenant's rights and responsibilities.

Car repairs and hire

The Motor Trades Association Queensland  handles complaints about car repairs if the mechanic is a member.

Queensland Transport  handles complaints about unsafe vehicles.


The Commonwealth Ombudsman  handles complaints, conducts investigations, performs audits and inspections, encourages good administration, and carries out specialist oversight tasks in relation to Australian Government agencies.

The Queensland Ombudsman  is an independent complaints investigation agency whose role is to ensure public agencies (state government departments and bodies, and local councils) act fairly and make the right decisions for Queenslanders.

Courts and legal

The Office of Fair Trading can not give you legal advice.

We strongly recommend you seek independent legal advice before signing any contract. Ensure your solicitor is independent of any other party to the transaction.

Queensland Courts  include the Supreme Court, District Court and Magistrates Court.

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal  makes determinations in civil cases where the amount involved is less than $25,000.

The Queensland Law Society  provides referrals to solicitors throughout Queensland.

Legal Aid Queensland  works with its partners to provide access to justice for disadvantaged Queenslanders by providing legal information, advice and representation.

Caxton Legal Centre  is an independent, non-profit community organisation providing free legal advice, social work services, assistance and referrals for the general public.

Product safety

The Product Safety Australia  website provides information on Australia’s national product safety regime

The Product Safety Recalls Australia  website provides information on recalled products across Australia.


The ACCC's ScamWatch  website provides information on scams, and how to avoid being caught out.

Telephones and internet

Place your number on the Do Not Call register  to avoid receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls.

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman  handles complaints about phone and internet services, and well as billing disputes with providers. The TIO is available at  or on 1800 062 058.

The Telephone Information Services Standards Council  handles complaints about 190 information calls.


The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission  monitors petrol products.

The Department of the Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities  handles enquiries about fuel quality.

Building and renovating

The Australian Government’s Home Insulation Safety Plan  manages enquiries from households that had insulation installed under the now discontinued Home Insulation Program.

The Building Services Authority  handles complaints about building and renovating if the work is more than $3300 (including labour and material).

Business services

The Department of Justice and Attorney-General  offers a free dispute resolution service that can be accessed by consumers and businesses.

The Queensland Government’s Business and industry website  is the primary resource for businesses starting or operating in Queensland.

The Government Business Information Service  provides support and assistance services to Queensland businesses.

Smartlicence online  is a service that can be used to find out if you require any licences to operate your business.

Standards Australia  is Australia’s peak standards body.

Finance and banking

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission  deals with complaints relating to financial products and services, such as banking, investments, credit or insurance.

The Financial Ombudsman Service  provides dispute resolution services for consumers and financial service providers.

The Credit Ombudsman Service  provides dispute resolution services for consumers and credit providers.

Advertising and marketing

The Australian Direct Marketing Association  handles enquiries about direct marketing.

The Advertising Standards Bureau  administers a national system of advertising self-regulation.

Electricity and gas

The Energy Ombudsman Queensland  provides dispute resolution services for Queensland’s energy consumers.

The Electrical Safety Office  is Queensland’s electrical safety regulator.

Medical issues

Queensland Health  handles complaints about medical services.

The Health Quality and Complaints Commission  is independent from Queensland Health and also deals with consumer complaints.

Food Safe Production Queensland  ensures food meets national safety standards.


The Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism  has tourist complaint services which operate on an Australia-wide basis. Visitors to Australia are covered by consumer protection laws which require all businesses to treat consumers fairly.

Training services

The Department of Education and Training  handles complaints about training services in Queensland.

Migration Issues

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority  (MARA) provides advice to consumers on their rights when dealing with registered migration agents and also handles complaints made about registered migration agents.